Thursday 27 March 2008

Hor-moans


I have recently had a change in my hormones prescription. I picked up my second months dose today. I was on some stuff called Ethinylestradiol. I am now on some different stuff called Estradiol Valerate. They are both forms of the female hormone Estrogen, although I think the former may come from a horse! I was on the horsey version for 18 months. They did seem to suit me, with the only side effects being dodgy brittle nails, and a liking for sugar cubes. Apparently I needed to change them as there was a slightly increased chance of not dying from Thrombosis! Which I guess is fine by me. I do think these new 'mones may be having a greater effect than oldies. Certainly things have improved on the breastial front, and sadly most of my body fat appears to be marching steadily south. My friends have also noticed some mood swings. I now fluctuate between the melancholy of Eeyore and the despair of Marvin the Paranoid Android (Don't talk to me about Life), with just a dose of Captain Caveman mania in between (though I hope a little less hairy!). Lest hope it all levels off before I drive everyone else as mad as me.
................

4 comments:

Chrissy J. said...

Hmm...
**picks up copy of Typical Hormone Regimens**

Okay. Ethinylestadiol is the 'old' stuff, the precursor to today's estadiol valerate. Ethinyl' is a chemically modified form of natural estadiol, it's very potent but is associated with thromboembolic complications (bloodclots to me an' thee) so it's not generally recommended.

Estradiol valerate (which I'm on) is inexpensive, has low hepatic toxicity, and is produced synthetically, unlike the 'horsey stuff' (Premarin) which comes from pregnant mares' urine and is unethical in it's production.

As for moodswings, you ain't a woman without them... just blame your hormones! Aso, chocolate may become one of your best friends...

Jenny Harvey said...

I have always been a busom friend to chocolate.
Sadly it can also be my nemesis.
I must I have been lucky not to have bad side effects to any hormones...so far

Chrissy J. said...

Depends on if you take an anti-androgen as well... the reduction of testosterone (to pave the way for your oestrogen intake) affects you neurologically as well as physically. I've had some pretty bad bouts of depression and that isn't an exception...

Jenny Harvey said...

I'm not on any anti-androgen. It has been suggested.
I'm sorry to hear you've had it so rough.