Sunday 6 April 2008

Elected


Yesterday it was Unison's Regional Council AGM at Aston University in Birmingham. I was up for election as an Assistant Regional Conveynor in a shared role with Sue who piped me last time. There was another lady standing against the two of us. We won with 52,000 votes out of 75,000 odd votes to be cast (not that Im counting!). I was so chuffed. I won't bore you with what the role entails, suffice to say that it is one of the most important positions within a region with over 150, 000 members.

I am not good at pushing myself forward, and often need someone to give me a nudge. Its my inherant lack of confidence in how others see me. I know I can do a good job its just that I always have this nagging feeling of illegitemacy and that someone will come along shaking their head saying "not you". Anyway I feel proud to have been elected and I imagine I may be the first Transgendered member of Unison in such a role.

5 comments:

Billy Whizz said...

Bollocks (no lack of pun intended) to being the first transgendered, just be proud to have been elected as you.

I'm proud of you as my elder sibling and I don't care whether that's as brother, sister or somewhere in between. That said I get on much better with the sister bit.

Jenny Harvey said...

Cheers Bruv
And from yersterday "Up the Saints"

Penny M said...

Congratulations Jenny! I can't imagine the amount of courage it took to do that. Amazing!

Jenny Harvey said...

Cheers Penny.
Not sure its courageous. I had to be pushed to stand.
Next week I have to spek in front of 1,500 delegates at a conference. I am as they say round here Bricking It

brad said...

Very nice Jenny. Congratulations. Good work.