Wednesday 16 April 2008

Conference Over and Out

Wednesday

The last day of Conference is always more subdued. Definitely a case of After the Lord Mayor's Show, from the tension of the previous day. I did hear 2 disturbing things earlier though. First, apparently the fire alarm went off in the hotel at 6am, but I heard nothing in my room. That can only mean to me that the hotel is quite prepared to sacrifice the poor 1st floorers, while evacuating those with the more lofty social standing of the higher floors. Secondly Vicky phoned me the night before with a tale of near death at the hands of an Emu! The story went, that while visiting Knowsley Safari Park an Emu went eye to eye with her and actually touched her nose with its "fearsome" beak. While of course Vic is never melodramatic she did use the phrase "It could have taken my face off".
The very dangerous Emu - Avoid eye contact at all cost

Anyway the rest of the day failed to live up to such excitement. There was some important debate, but without any controversy. Even the government minister Ivan Lewis got away fairly unscathed. Unfortunately at a focus group I did end up with the mic and preceded my question with my very poor NHS Agenda for Change joke!

Looking back I had really enjoyed myself even with all my speech stress. It may sound cheesy but I do love my Union. I always meet interesting people from all over the country, and a few made a point of coming over to me, congratulating me on my maiden speech. They really are the most kind, passionate, diverse, inclusive, and friendly bunch of comrades you could ever find.

I had a bit of a tiff with the hotel reception on checking out. When I said I was from room 168, the receptionist looked at the computer and said "Mr Harvey?", I snapped back "I Don't think I look like a Mister!" I got a grudging apology explaining it was just an error.

2 comments:

brad said...

Emus and ostriches can be quite, um, in your face when they think there's food to be had.

Jenny Harvey said...

Well apparently it did react to the suggestion "Give it a crisp"