Friday 4 April 2008

A Penny for Your Thoughts

I was listening to some Beatles music on my PC this afternoon. It got me thinking about my doomed attempt at academia while at Liverpool Polytechnic. I may not have left with much in the way of qualifications but I did leave with a little piece of the city in my heart.For the first year I lived in Student Halls just off the end of the famous Penny Lane. From my memories I thought I'd have a stab at a version from a late '80s confused, transgendered student's point of view.

Penny Lane Memories...

On Penny Lane, there was a student in a drunken haze.
He nicked a traffic cone, and kept it in his room
and he stayed in bed till almost noon
So he missed his class, lazy ass

Off Penny Lane there was a T-girl, in her favourite clothes
Was after dark 'cos she was scared of getting Read
and she hid her stash beneath her bed
So her wife don't find, 'cos she would mind

Penny Lane was in my ears and in my eyes
Now, beneath my blue suburban skies
I sit and recall back

Off Penny Lane there was a conman fleecing gullibles
He told them John and Paul once lived above his shop,
and he sold them stuff to rip them off
Got some extra pay, the eighties way

On Penny Lane there was a Jenny feeling insecure
She tried so hard to make some sense of all her pain
as she stood under the pouring rain
Made her feel more real, but didn't heal

Penny Lane is in my heart and in my mind
Now under my dark'ning evening skies
I wish I was back then .....

No comments: