Saturday 19 April 2008

Becoming Jen (Part 15)


Party Politics

My life had passed a tipping point. After the success of my week in Glasgow, I was now firmly convinced I could, and would soon live and work full time as a woman. I was now dressing pretty much full time when not at work. I had also started to purchase clothes suitable for work. It seemed only a matter of time.

Mid way through the summer, I was invited to a house party. Gary is one of my closest colleagues and friends on the Staff side. He works for another Trade Union, and we jointly take the lead for the Staff side. He is more interestingly, a Podiatrist and does the feet for Port Vale FC! Anyway, he knew about my better side, though had not seen it yet. One day he asked if I wanted to come to a treasure hunt / barbeque party at his house. One of the main selling points was that an old work friend of ours, Lorna would be going. I was a bit nervous about going to such a social event where I would not know anyone, but in the knowledge that Lorna would be there I said yes. Another plus point was that Lorna is nearly as tall as me, so for once I wouldn’t feel like a giant.

The day came. It was a balmy summer Saturday in July. I got ready in my best summer party outfit (when I say best I mean only). I got to Gary’s house in a picturesque Staffordshire moorlands village. His house was a converted Chapel perched halfway up a steep hill. There were cars precariously parked all the way up the hill, so I figured quite a few guests had arrived. Steeling myself with a gulp I went in. Gary and his wife Hazel, met me at the door, and being laid back, showed no real reaction to my appearance. Gary's first words did made my heart sink. “Lorna can’t make it”. With no other ally and Gary busy entertaining everyone I was on my own! Then my heart sank a little deeper “By the way I haven’t mentioned to anyone about your Transgender thing?” So I was now deep into uncomfortable social event hell. I would have to engage strangers in conversation, while I imagined they would try and distance themselves from me while trying not to stare! Then just as my heart tried to gain some buoyancy it finally popped and sank to the depths of my stomach. “By the way its mainly married couples with their children.
So....I was the only single transgendered stranger in a party full of professional couples and kids who all knew each other. I had absolutely no training for such an event. My previous tactic for party survival, developed at Poly was to sit at the back in a dark corner and attempt to look dark, moody and interesting, possibly holding a cigarette of some description as an affectation of cool. In hindsight I looked sinister, miserable and boring, and as I didn’t smoke, stupid! So I was just going to have to mix it toe to toe, with Staffordshire’s chattering classes. I decided that if I could manage to look comfortable, then guests may start to feel more comfortable with the 6 foot 2 transsexual.

The party turned out to be great fun. Gary’s friends were all charming and I pretty soon relaxed. Every time I met a new guest we would mention how we knew Gary and Hazel. One lady asked me “Do you know Gary through work or his rock climbing?” looking at my athletic physique she added “Its work isn’t it”. That made us both laugh and a barrier broken. The only I awkward moment came later in the evening. Sitting in the lounge chatting to 3 other women, one of their boys, aged about 8 I guess, came bounding over with “Are you a boy or girl?” at full volume. Slightly aback all I could think of was “Today I’m a girl”. “Really kids have no social compass!” I opined. Luckily everyone laughed with me.

That was not the first time inquisitive kids had put me on the spot. I remember once in Tescos two 10 ish year old lads following me and then calling out “Is it a man or a woman?” So I turned tables and when not expecting approached them and said “It’s a bit rude, shouting. If you want to know something just ask, and I will talk to you” They were both stopped dead in their tracks, and to their credit apologised.

I had really enjoyed the do, and I thanked Gary and Hazel for inviting me. It was proof further that I could function well as Jen.

This is only the briefest of chapters, because next time…. Jenny goes live….T for Transition Day….It will be working girl time.

5 comments:

Pandora Caitiff said...

Hello. Just thought I'd stop by and comment as anew reader of your blog.

I found it via Becky's Blog, and was a little spooked by your mini description, being an overweight T-person activist myself! Well, actually an ex-activist (I was a PCS site rep till I escaped the public sector).

Your blog makes for interesting reading, and I'm enjoying reading the Becoming Jen posts immensely.

I'll definitely be popping back as you update.

-Pandora

Jenny Harvey said...

Much Thanks Pandora, and well done for escaping the public sector intact xxx

Micky J said...

Hiya Jen, Met you briefly last night in the Angels chatroom.
Wondeful blog and going to bookmark it to read in the future


xxx Katy xxx

Jenny Harvey said...

Cheers Katy
Nice to meet you. We must chat more next time xxx

brad said...

You do have a working compass.