Monday 13 April 2009

Under Pressure . . . bum bum bum bum, bumbum, bum bum

As Queen and David so eloquently put it “Pressure pushing down on me Pressing down on you no man ask for”.


I've found myself at the centre of things for Unison’s upcoming Health Conference, the biggest (and best) conference of health and NHS workers in the country. This year it will be held at the very genteel and Yorkshire (and hilly) town of Harrogate. Its a huge conference centre for a relatively small town and when we invade every 3rd person has a telltale
Without going into too much mind numbingly dull NHS pay and conditions twaddle what will happen is that I will be moving a motion in the most contentious debate regarding our participation in a Pay Review (PRB). The PRB hears evidence from both the Trades Unions and the NHS trusts to recommend an annual pay increase rather than us directly negotiating with the employers, which effectively turns out to be the government. It is vital that in this economic and political climate that we have a buffer between ourselves and the government so that future increases are judged on an economic and fair basis, rather than political expediency. I’m am sure that whichever shade of government comes next, are going attempt to use public sector pay restraint to score cheap points with those percieved oracles of middle England The Daily Malicious and The Daily Exploits. Our Pay Review Body gives us extra ammunition in any upcoming pay battles that would be folly to decommission. We know that the Treasury would be delighted if Unison withdrew from the process, and for me if the treasury is against it then I’m for it.
Anyway enough of the Trade Unionising already.


The upshot (is there ever a downshot ?) is that I am feeling a little (make that a lot) under pressure to deliver an effective 5 minute speech, because I’m sure to be followed by some experienced passionate speakers from the other side of the debate. My only previous speech at health conference was on violence and aggression in the NHS and lets face it I would have had to be pretty cack footed to miss that as an open goal. I did think about starting off by saying that Violence and Aggression was a good thing, especially towards patients and that we should routinely arm our nurses, just to see if anyone was listening, but sense got the better of me.
So right now 11 days ahead of the event my head is a whirl of what I hope it snappy soundbites and punchy comment, but more likely incoherent waffle that may find its way into my text.
To try and get some clarity of thought, the other day I found myself in Leek at 4pm, after doing an induction presentation, so instead of crawling through traffic to the office I decided to sit in the sun and get some perspective. Where better than the Roaches, a fabulous rocky hilly outcrop just 10 mins above Leek, on the edge of the Peak district national Park.

Map picture

roaches 1

Parking the car, below the climb I suddenly realised (my brain is so slow sometimes) that I was maybe not best dressed for a scramble up the rock, sitting as I was in a long black and white print dress and flattie work pumps. If there had been a summer garden party or a wedding do on the hillside then I may have been ok, but scanning the horizon I saw neither. Hell, In for a penny, in for a Euro (The Pound is pretty weak right now). So off I went a-climbing and a-scrambling up to the rock. After much tripping over teetering and some undignified crawling on all fours I got to my targeted spot, and looking like a lioness crossed with a Fresian cow I basked in the sun on my hot rock. At times small groups of proper hikers and climbers

would pass me all tooled up in their hiking boots, fleeces and rucksacks. As they chewed on their Kendal Mint cake they would glance at me with a mix of scorn and bemusement, if they had children with them they would gently guide them away fromthe “strange lady”. To make myself just that bit more conspicuous I decided to take a couple of pictures of myself, and with the aid of a carefully balanced camera, a self timer and a short dash to position I succeeded. I did think to myself that this was such a Tranny cliché, photoing myself in a frock in the middle of nowhere, but the deed was done. I took a few more shots of rolling hills and jaggedy rocks, then briefly toyed with the idea of staying long enough to snap a sunset, but I had no idea what time that would be. I was rather pleased with a shot I got of Holiday jet passing by the evening moon, and that signalled the time to slip slide may way back to the car .

The endeavour worked really well and not once did I think of Conferences, Motions and PRBs

plane and moon

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I did once speak at Tory party conference (can't remember what year), and while I was speaking Margaret Thatcher came onto the platform behind me and sat down. A mass of photographers started snapping away - talk about upstaged.

Clearly my main bit of conference speaking advice (check your flies before going onto the podium) doesn't apply.

James Anthony said...

Sure you'll be great Jen, it's certainly a complicated issue but what you've put here sums it up quite well.

I actually think that last years deal provides the best of both worlds as we had PRB and negotiations around the edges.

See you Sunday!

the CFG said...

I can see why such a fab place distracted you from writing your speech...fab piccie of the Jet! x

alan said...

Beautiful album! I love #7 and #10 along with the two you posted here!

I'd love to have heard the wheels turning in the heads of those dressed for their cross country venture when they found you there relaxing...

Best of luck with your writing; I'm sure you'll pull it off wonderfully!

alan

Calamity Jen said...

How is the speech-writing coming along?

Jenny Harvey said...

the speech so far is half an A4 of clumsy sound bites.
Think I will have to rely on the song for a big finnish

Lucy said...

you speak very well hun
your speech at LGBT conf last year was fab