Friday 24 April 2009

‘arrogate


harrogate conference hallUNISON Health Conference 2009 in Harrogate. As I mentioned in posts passim, I have found myself at the centre of the big debate of the week on our Pay negotiation mechanisms. Its a bit dull to explain the details of the argument, but let me assure the debate was far from dull. The debate was set for the Tuesday afternoon, and after many strategic huddles during lunch the main players strode into the magnificent Conference arena, as nervous but determined gladiators (well there were at least sandals anyway). Our motion was the second of the two in the debate. We were up against some of the most passionate and experienced speakers, particularly Mike from Scotland who delivered a magnificent open salvo. I was lined up in a long queue to speak against their motion. If theirs was passed, then ours would fall and I would not have to move our motion  (please no jokes about moving motions…its not big and its not clever).
Punch and counter punch followed, each side trying to outdo each other with facts and shouting. As my spot neared, someone from their side jumped in and raised a Point of Order to end the debate and go for the vote. The 2 seas of yellow voting cards held up for and against were too close to call so it went to the card vote. This is when each branch delegation fills in a card (duurrrh!) with their branches voting strength. My branch had 2,500 votes. Everyone gets a little over excited at card votes as the bell is rung and people rush around making sure no card is missed, and every vote is counted. All done, a calm slowly settled and   in, like children coming down after a sugar rush we all sat back for the next speaker.

The card vote count meant that my motion would not be moved till the following day (now, I have told you, stop making your own jokes!). I was disappointed, because that meant another night of tinkering with my speech, and worse I had blown my best frock on nothing.
The next morning was a bit of an anticlimax. We won the card vote relatively easily and my motion was pretty much unchallenged. I was still pretty nervous as I stood before everyone. For a transwoman who for most of her time tries to blend in with the world, having your face broadcast on 2 gigantic projection screen as your voice boomed out on a dozen speakers while 2 thousand eyes bore down on you is a trifle unsettling. I rattled through my speech far too fast and as I sat down to some sympathetic applause, I was a little disappointed with myself. However I would get another chance, when I would speak in the afternoon on a motion that mattered to me more than any other. Motion 58 on Transgender discrimination . . .

I had worked really hard on this speech. I was not moving the motion, but as far as I knew I was the only visible transgender member at the conference. The motion was always going to be passed easily (please!!) but I wanted more than that. I wanted the delegates to engage with the issue. Because we are still so relatively rare, the issue often disappears from delegates minds as soon as the next motion starts. I was so determined to make some sort of impact. The world of work will only truly become a safer place to transition the more we are seen. Although the more I’m seen as trans the more likely I am to be treated differently. It’s a bit of a Catch 22 thingy.

I was not nervous this time as I stood at the podium…..”Chair, conference. Jenny Harvey, west midlands health committee. I am proud to be a trans member. I am proud to have become a woman member of Unison” . . . cheap applause followed and away I went.
I got a couple of jokes in early. Jokes based on NHS pay systems (called Agenda for Change, so work it out) and on Unison rules don't translate on a blog, but they went down well and the laughter got the hall on my side, ready to hit them with the substance of my speech, the struggle for real acceptance at work and the part employers take in making things harder. I made it personal, giving examples of discrimination I had faced. I finished my speech spot on when the red light came on. I was chuffed, it’s really tricky judging your timing as pauses for applause and laughter can throw it off. As I walked back to my seat, the clapping felt genuine. As a sat behind my table, I started shaking and had to hold back tears. It was a combination of relief, pride and emotion. I have never felt like that after public speaking before. I can only surmise that it was because to topic was so personal.
I was glad to get home to Gammo. Now looking ahead to our June National Delegates Conference in Brighton, where Ive got to move a motion attacking the BNP. 

5 comments:

Kate Ahrens said...

I wanted to say how well you spoke on the motion on Transgender discrimination.

And although I disagree with you on the Pay Review Body, I thought it was a good debate, with points well made on both sides.

I guess we'll have it all to do over again next year....

Jenny Harvey said...

Thanks Kate
It was a good scrap. Trade Unionism at its best
I Look forward to a rejoined battle.
Was good to be at the heart of things for once

Gimme a sign said...

Congrats! It sounds like you did a wonderful job and really stirred up some feelings from the crowd.

alan said...

I'm glad you held back your tears while you were there, but I'm not holding mine right now!

I'm so very damn proud of you, for you and to know you!

Also very elated to know that someone somewhere is still looking beyond what's going in in their own yard to the horrors that occur in the rest of the world! Thank you!

alan

ryssee said...

You totally engaged the audience and you knocked them out. I'd have cried right next to ya if I were there. Great job