Friday 30 January 2009

Pressing the Press

newspapers

I

 

 

My assualt on the world of celebrity. First the Staffordshire Evening Sentinel, next the World ! (or perhaps The Cheadle & Tean Times!)

I was going to entitle this post "Papping the Papps", but I should avoid derogatory epithets. People in glass houses and all that! 

I did my bit for the local newspaper on Wednesday.

First up was a charming and inquisitive young photographer called Alex. After going through my various photographic neurosies. He assured me that I would be fine, mainly that he would take so many pics that we would be sure to find some decent ones. Well, we shall see. Taking me outside he found a spot and had me trying all manner of poses, mainly leaning on one arm or leaning on the other arm. He even had me in action mode walking towards the camera. It is amazingly difficult to walk like a human being on instruction, and I ended up with an over wiggling pastiche of a woman's walk. He seemed happy though. He was less happy when I asked if I could photograph him for my blog citing his needing a hair cut. And I thought I was a diva!

The second wave of the assault was an affable hirsute journalist called Allan. I was arrogant in thinking that with my blogging media savvy, I would control the interview to put across my finely honed message. However, his relaxed style and kindly inquisitorial skills soon had me totally off guard and off message, but I'm sure on a more interesting story. I ended up so relaxed, that immediately after the interview I could not recall what I said. For all I knew I espoused the deportation of trans people back to Transylvania, or The Transvaal. So after a restless night's tossing and worrying, a follow up call to the journalist has reassured me that I didn't make a total Gerald Ratner style screw up!

I'm now looking forward...ish...ly to the Tuesday print day. I just hope that I had something different to say other than the usual cliché of boy wants to be girl, boy hides being a girl, boy meets girl, boy marries girl, girl divorces boy, boy becomes girl

5 comments:

alan said...

I shall look forward to hearing "hurrahs" on Tuesday!

alan

Calamity Jen said...

What Alan said. I do hope you'll share the results with those of us who are too far away to get a copy of the paper ourselves.

Penny M said...

Good luck Jen. My knowledge of journos is limited to reading the stuff they write, but I suspect local papers are not as vicious as the national tabloids. Our weekly once ran a story; "Local man loses hat". It was a 'special' hat though.

Jenny Harvey said...

What a teasing headline.
I would have to read more
How local was the man?
How did he lose the hat?
Was it his hat?
Was there a hat thief on a grassy knoll?

Jenny Harvey said...

Jen, I shall share the results with 2 caveats
1) The pics are not minging (hope this translates in Canada)
2) I don't come across as an utter fool