Saturday 10 January 2009

Clearing The Decks

After 2 weeks seasonal festivities it has been good to get back to the routine of work., and lets face it in the current climate a job is a precious thing indeed.

My holiday period consisted of the following, in chronological order :

Papal bigotry, Miserable flu, Surprise Prezzies, Sibling Bonding, Diet busting excess, Woolies Pillaging, Disappointing Sales, Car Re-glazing, Failed Resolutions and finally too many Lazy lie ins.

All in all I end up starting the new year in about as good a mood as an City Banker, who invested in Woolworths and bet on a white Christmas who's trying to sell his house to pay his debts.

I think in consideration the conflagration of Christmas and New Year prolongs the agony. I think separating these two days would have distinct advantages. As New Year is pretty well set then it should be Christmas that shifts. Now can we really be sure that Christ was born on 25th December. After all Easter seems to veer about randomly each year, and lets face it how reliable were Bethlehem's Registrars at record keeping. So how about moving Christmas day to mid July, we could even go for 25th. This would mean that New Year would be distinct with its own identity, instead of a Christmas afterthought. We would then have a nice summer Christmas to look forward to. No longer would we have the disappointment from the expectation of a white Christmas. Carol Singer would serenade with calypso songs. The last minute, late night present shopping would take place in a pleasant midsummer evening instead of a freezing dark winter's night. Kid's would be able to play outside with their new bikes, skateboards,,, knives, or whatever it is they get now. 

Just think of the day. Early morning sunrise, followed by a continental breakfast, opening presents on the patio to the strains of Summer Nights on the stereo. Instead of a bloated overcomplicated dinner, we could have quiche, salad, jelly and Pimms. The Queen's speech could be delivered from Buck House gardens with her crown replaced by floppy sun hat and shades. After lunch, Instead of  Julie in The Sound of Music, we could watch  Cliff's Summer Holiday...(OK I think that's enough now!!)

Anyway I needed a bit of a kick start to '09, so I joined Vix in a spot of Spartacus walking along a frosty trail from Oakamoor along the Churnet valley towards dougalAlton (of Alton Towers fame.)

 

As I strode (ambled) along, I snapped away and the thought that I needed a better whizzier camera started to infiltrate my brain. I know when this happens I end up obsessing until I've spent ill affordable cash on a new gadget. This got me thinking. I decided that there was no real point in my making any New Years Resolutions as I am about as likely to stick to them as Dougal could give up sugar-lumps (although in the seminal Dougal And The Blue Cat he did manage to resist a room stuffed full of sugar), but what I do need is to find a new drug of choice. I am a woman of few vices, almost a Goody Two Shoes. W As Adam Ant put it " You don't drink, don't Smoke. What do you do?" Well I do have my own personal drugs of choice in shopping and food. When I'm down, or even when I'm up, I know these two things will give me the brief high of instant gratification. Now I'm committed to dieting that just leave buying stuff. Now this could be clothes, DVD box sets or my current fix, gadgets. I evidence my totally gratuitous purchase of an iPod Touch when I was supposed to be buying Christmas presents. Both these drugs come with consequences either on my waistline of dwindling bank balance. Therefore I have decided to seek out a new drug of choice. One that is cheap, slimming, legal and works instantly with a slow gradual come down. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Footnote : For how long are we expected to wish everyone Happy New Year ? There should be an official cut off. I suggest 21st January...even better the 1st January !

5 comments:

Penny M said...

I think your drug of choice should be calendar rearranging. You are very good at it. You do need to be a bit more daring; rather than move Christmas to mid-July, why not move New Year? Then we could have a year that starts on the 15th of July, runs through August, September, etc. past December and January and back to July. That way December 2008 and January 2008 would be next to each other instead of at opposite ends of the year - the current idiotic situation. While July would be spilt across two years - hmm, I think this needs thinking about. Over to you Jen

Jenny Harvey said...

hmmm ideed. Interesting idea indeed.
A new year spanning the one month would be a smooth transition and after all we got used to car regs changing mid year (can't get to grips with this 08 and 58 system) Of course celebrating new year would be much more comfortable staying up past midnight with July weather and we could even party outside.
The main advantage for your proposal would be that it would screw with Astrologers !!

Billy Whizz said...

While you're at it mvoe the timing of the day 12 hours. Have new year at midday. Ok this would mean an early start to revelries but the you can have fun and games in day light.

NEw drug of choice, hmm, can't help really. To follow up on quotuing lyrics Dave Lee Roth ocen prfoundly ssaid "It seems like everything I like will make me sick or poor or fat"

Ian Manborde said...

Hi Jenny,

Can I propose that the cut off date for wishing happiness in the new year is 13th January - as this is my birthday. Past this point of greater ageing there is no joy, just a greater slide toward old gittishness and even greater neglect from my two daughters!

Ian

Lucie G said...

At the end of the first week back, I think is an appropriate cut off for hny greets.

We could all move to the southern hemisphere and have a summer xmas or delay the gift giving and just use xmas as an excuse to have one long party and at least a day of good television.