Wednesday 31 December 2008

A Blogging New Year

2008

Happy New Year, one and all.

 

Well, 2008 is nearly over. Apparently though, the year is not as nearly over  as it was this time last year. Some scientist bods have decided we need an extra  second this year. Oh,why do they want to prolong the agony?

This has been my first year as a blogger. I'm always just behind the zeitgeist and paddling desperately to catch up. In syncro with my anniversary in the blogosphere I have just noticed my hit counter tripping over to 10,000. It sounds impressive, but I expect 4,000 are my own hits, 4,000 are from my brother and the rest only landed from a misspelt Google search.

What should a blogger do at the turning of a year? I suppose, indulge in the same kind of mawkish introspection that usually accompanies Big Ben's bongs. So how am I placed a year on, surely the point of life is to progress, to experience,  to learn and to improve. Well I'm not sure the rudderless pedalo that is my life, has made much progress into the blue. For December 31st 2008 see December 31st 2009. OK I am a little lighter, a tiny bit better off (ie I owe a bit less) but in all important aspects I feel the same. I am still single and see no other pedalos on the horizon. I still have about the same sometimes grudging acceptance from the world towards my new gender direction. I still get called "he" and "him" at times, and I still let it get to me. I still get those occasional pangs of panic that my radical, life swerve has been an act of ill thought folly. In my career I still have a lack of drive confidence, waiting for the required quantum of encouragement and reassurance before I take any step forward.

This is all quite pathetic and self serving and hopefully now out of my system, well at least till next new year. My blessings are many, and my life as a woman is a precious commodity to be cherished..... so enough already.

I've actually had a good Christmas, and spent some quality time with the force of nature that is my brother Billy. I saw my ex wife Caroline and was heartened to see how well, she is doing. If ever there were two people that loved each other, but needed to be apart it was the two of us. I've had some fab prezzies, in particular from Vicky, who has bought us tickets to see Anton and Erin (offa Strictly) up close. Not only that but the day after, we are to attend a dance workshop with them. I really need to step up my diet for two reasons. 1 to wear a fabulous dress for  the evening and 2 to minimise any permanent damage from a misplaced high heel. I can see the headline "TV Dancer's career ended by waltzing elephant!"

As for blogging, well its been the most positive thing I've done all year. I feel I've made blogging friends, deeper that any passing Facebook buddy. I've gained access to some of the most witty, well informed and moving writing on the net. I've discovered a love of writing, however ham fisted, and there is barely an event goes by, that I don’t think "how can I post about that?". My laptop is now filled with unpublished drafts in varying states of abandonment, mostly unreadable drivel (ok so most of the published are like that too). I also now have a pictures folder stuffed with snaps of the banal and pointless, that at some time I thought I would attach to a post. However just like being T* is in my blood, I am now firmly a blogger and can't imagine I will ever stop, even when the only readers are internet viruses.

So anyway, as the sands of time dribble through and my 10,001 hit bounces straight off my blog, what am I going to do with this extra second ?

See you next year.

5 comments:

alan said...

I promise I'm not a virus, nor (to my knowledge) misdirected as I very intentionally clicked on a link that brought me here that first time!

The eyes of the world would most likely be better off had I left more in my draft folder; alas I keep very little "in"!

When I count my blessings, you are among them; your wit and your heart made sure of that from the first time I visited here!

I am glad your holidays have been good; given the bumpy ride of these last few months we all needed a respite...I shall hope it continues!

Knowing my own lack of coordination and given that it presents itself at the least opportune moment, I know your dance partners will have much less to fear from you than they would from me!

May the New Year bring you much Happiness and success in all you do, Jenny!

Happy New Year!

alan

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, yours was one of the best new t-type blogs of this year. Witty, intelligent and most importantly, grounded. And I'm saying that as a transvestite and therefore obviously a sworn enemy to all transsexuals. (I can't help it, it's the law, I signed up to it when I joined) ;-)

Have a great new year. :-D

Penny M said...

Here here.

Happy New Year Jen!

Jenny Harvey said...

Thanks All
Alan > you win the prize for the most attentive and punctual of commentors
Penny > happy new year to you too. Looking forward to more tales from the far north
and Becky> praise from a sworn enemy is worth far more than from any ally
Anyway I'm less of a transsexual than I am a lapsed Transvestite.
I think we only go full time because we can't be bothered to maintain 2 wardrobes!

Lucie G said...

If you cant be excessively mawkish at this time of year, when can you.

Who knows, you might craft one of those drafts into another golden post someday.

Enjoy the danceing and a happy new year