Tuesday 23 December 2008

Papal Hatred

I am so angry I am going to use a bigger font. I would actually like a font, big enough to dunk the pope in!

Save yourselves. Apparently I am more of a threat to mankind than global warming.

I awoke full of pre Christmas cheer, to be greeted by Radio Five Live, announcing that this Pope feels that humanity needs saving from homosexual or transsexual behaviour (BBC website phrase). I've an idea what homosexual behaviour is, I have read the pamphlets. To be honest though, I'm not exactly sure what transsexual behaviour is, maybe its excessive blogging!

As a radical agnostic / fundamental atheist, the Pope has at least given me another reason that organised religion is something to be generally ignored (not really following my own advice by writing this post at 6am!). Saying that I am listed somewhere as CoE and I do like a good church wedding or carol concert. It always seems to me that the Church of England aren't actually that fussed if you believe in god or not.

Anyway back to this odious, offensive, detestable, execrable (that's all my pocket thesaurus contained) statement.

How is this not to be seen as inciting hatred against a persons sexuality or gender identity. It's fine by me for the catholic or any other church to exclude me from their gang, but this goes so far beyond that.

Hatred is Hatred is Hatred.

Think I will spend the morning watching Father Ted DVDs, while keeping an eye out for albino monk assassins

By the way, is there a prize for the first trans blogger to post about this? I expect there will be a flourish

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Benny's lost it. Well done for getting in first! :)

Jess said...

Words really fail me when it comes to the Popes message.

Hows about we all go along to our local priest, stand outside the RC church, and ask to be stoned? Save them coming to find us...

As someone who considers themselves an adherent to Christianity, I'm afraid the Pope and I don't see eye to eye.

Billy Whizz said...

The Pope is not unique here. Every branch of organised religion has similar sentiments about some seciton of society of another (with the possible exemption of Jainism and Budhism).

He has pulled up a little short though since he missed out on the following

1. If you children talk back to you you should stone them to death (Exodus 21:15)

2. A man is permitted to sell his daughter into sexual slavery (Exodus 21:7-11)

3. General slavery is permitted (1-Timothy 6:1-4)

4. The Pope is opposed to condom use that would prevent the spread of Aids from one married partner to another!!!

That'll do for now as otherwise I'll rant Kermodian on the apparent moral guidance that the Bible provides us with.

It astounds me that the more educated we become as a society the more we cling to so called ancient scriptures and ideas to guide us which in direct contravention of everything we learn from history and science. Hence we still have religious war, homophobia and vast sections of society being prevented from gaining appropraite aid

alan said...

To add another voice...

I heard a piece on National Public Radio before I retired earlier this year about the student body of an engineering school in Austria voting to rescind their chancellor's invitation to "Benny" to address their class because they found recent writings in which he had said the churches persecution of Galileo was justified...

Myself, I'm with "Groucho" in refusing membership in any club that might have "me" for a member!

I remember some years ago a Bishop telling them they should open the coffers and use their accumulated wealth to help the poor. They took away his archdiocese and assigned him to "Partenia", a diocese that had not had a parishioner in centuries as it's in the North African desert.

He built a parish on-line! When they figured out they hadn't muzzled him they took that away from him as well.

I try very hard not to hold their stupidity against them, but sometimes they make it awfully hard!

alan

alan said...

If you run short of "Father Ted" may I suggest "Vicar of Dibley" as a chaser?

alan

Penny M said...

I bet there are more LGBT people than Catholics. Actually, I bet there are more trans people than Catholics. The Pope is expressing the archaic views of a church that has been left behind by the rest of the world.

Ian Manborde said...

Hi Jenny,

Just thought I'd write a note to support your sentiments.

There was a highly analytical destruction of the Pope's position by a leading catholic in the UK, Christine Odone in last Sunday's Observer.

In it, amongst other things, she points out the perversity of opining the problems of 'gender theory' and criticising homosexuality whilst not honestly acknowledging that the Catholic church - like any other civic, social, political etc. institution would/could not exist without a handy smattering of non-heteros amongst its number.

Good on you Jenny - keep up the good work!

Ian

Calamity Jen said...

Hi Jenny.

First, thank you for commenting on my blog. Looking at your photo, I don't think you could possibly have more than 1 1/2 skinny women inside you.

Second, I hope the pope trips over his stupid shoes.