Wednesday 26 November 2008

The Chunkiest Hobo

Back Northwestwards on the 15.35 from Euston, my favourite of the .35s.

Started the day by eating far too much hotel breakfast buffet for anyone supposed to be on a diet (anyone not dieting too). Did a bit more hotel based photography from the top floor and had a whizz round the British Library Plaza

Had a good conveners meeting today and I actually opened my gob this time. Not sure anything that came out was coherent or even intelligible but at least I contributed which is some progress. Must admit the other conveners from the nine corners of the UK are all really welcoming. They all seem to have been in their roles for years, but in no way make me feel like an complete newbie. It was good to see that we were bucking any unfair national stereotypes. The North East convener was clearly feeling the unnecessary chilly room temperature and not at all like the, depths of winter yet still bare-chested Newcastle FC supporters you see on the telly.  The south east delegates did not appear spoilt, pampered and privaleged. The  South Westerners were oooo aaaarrr and pastie less, the Scottish and Welsh were distinctly unpartisan. Only the West Midlands delegate (me) let the side down by being just a bit dull.

I'm sitting here trying to plan my the rest of my day. It goes as follows: Train, Car, Slimming Club, Home, Eat (only if slimming club reveals weight loss), Feed Gammo, Change & Bath (think its better other way round),Vicky's in time for the Top Gear repeat, Meakins Cricket Club quiz, Late night on line chat to Jo....and sleep. Well its the plan anyhow.

For the remainder of the train trip I am going to immerse myself in a playlist on my laptop's  iTunes , which go under the heading "What was I thinking"

The Gambler, by Kenny Rogers (for Vicky)

Maybe Tomorrow (theme from The Littlest Hobo), by Dave Gurning (who he?, oddly makes me miss Gammo).

England, We'll Fly The Flag, by England World Cup Squad '82. (This was the bizarre B side to Going Home based on the tune from a British Airways ad)

You Can't Stop The Beat, from Hairspray the Musical

Galloping Home, the Black Beauty theme (and featured in I'm Alan Partridge

Rule The World, by the 'That (the strings at the start my me cry for no reason)

Joe 90 theme (nothing to bracket about)

The Prisoner theme, (I am not a number I'm a free woman)

I really must cure my TV theme obsession

and to finish in stark contrast, Serious and Organised, a really good stand up show from Mark Thomas. I could insert "un" and "dis" into the title to describe my life.

That should be timed just to reach Stoke. I really do share too much on this blog. It's one thing to come out as Transgendered, but to admit to a knowledge of world cup songs, maybe just a bit too much!! It would be good to say that the rest of my music collection was much cooler and relevant but I fear that it would not stand up to any muso's  scrutiny.

   

2 comments:

Pandora Caitiff said...

I quite like the Joe 90, and the Prisoner theme tunes.

Not sure about "Maybe Tomorrow". It certainly evokes nostalgia from me, but I don't know if I like it. I do like the intro noise whatever it is.

Billy Whizz said...

Here we are, we're Ron's 22

This time, more than any other time.

We're going to find a way.
Find a way to get away this time

Getting it all together
We'll get it right
Na na na naaa na
This time we'll get it right

That embarassingly is my first memory of World Cup songs.

By the way the theme to The Avengers is classic.