Saturday 4 October 2008

Passing Pebbles, Dropping Stones

<KENOX S1050  / Samsung S1050>

This week I bought a dress. Not the most earth shattering scoop of the year, but for me it was quite an achievement. Somehow dresses and me have never quite seen eye to eye. Its all a matter of shape and my shape is completely at odds with the requirements of  wearing a frock. Its not that I don't like dresses, I am after all a T girl of some 30 years standing, but now my dressing habits are mostly driven by necessity and practicality I wont buy anything that I can't be seen out in. Back in the day as a closeted T-something (not really sure what I was) I would buy any old rubbish that looked girly and fitted. The worst was a blue sequined long affair that even Margo from the Good Life (sorry Alan and the rest of the US, for the peculiarly British cultural references) would have turned down!

Anyway, where was I. Well what with all the dieting and swimming stuff, I have lost a bit of weight under my bust that means I now have a more dress compatible shape, and last Sunday, shopping in Telford, I found a long black and white dress that actually fitted me, looked ok, and could even be appropriate for work. So, there you are, I am now looking and waiting for the right occasion to go out befrocked. Somehow this, like the swimming has become another mile-pebble (not quite big enough to be a mile stone!). This pic left is the dress in question (Durrrh!). It needs to be noted that my hair is fresh from the Chlorine flavoured swimming pool, and if you look closely I have the telltale nose bridge redness from my goggles.

Now I have passed another pebble this week (I have just realised how painful that sounds! I really must give up eating stones) I actually had my hair done in a proper hair salon. Yes I know I have been sans wig for a couple of years now, but I have always had my hair done round at my friend Debbie's. I must admit going to the hairdressers felt a bit like cheating on Debs, but I was on the spur of the moment during a free afternoon (sounds like an excuse every cheating husband would use). I have ended up with my hair in a layered bob. On the subject of Bob I have just realised where the phrase Bob Mode comes from. Now those you you who frequent the Transgender forums will have come across this term for dressing and appearing in male mode. It was watching Blackadder Goes Forth   and there was the episode where a girl poses as a man to join the British Army (also in Blackadder II) and she goes under the name "Bob". Anyway back to the hairdressers. I felt completely out of my depth and every question posed by the hairdresser was met with a "whatever you think best". I really after this time should have a better idea about my Barnett. I fact I was so compliant and subservient that I ended up buying very expensive salon endorsed shampoo and conditioner to sort out my apparently greasy roots but dry ends (even my follicles have identity confusion!). To be honest I would have probably bought or signed up to anything at that moment, so its a good job they don't do replacement windows or timeshare.

I have recently posted some pretty dreadful photos on here recently what with swimsuits, multiple chins and wonky eyes. So to balance thing up a bit here is a pic of my new hair do taken from that most flattering of angles, above my head and with skin blemish disguising flash . As you can see, the camera most definitely does lie. I have also decided I am going to post my weigh in results from my Slimming Club in the hope that exposure to the World Wide Wottsit will give me ever<KENOX S1050  / Samsung S1050>y incentive to carry on and also another excuse for a table . My target for the Gender Thingy Surgery is around 16 stone, so I have a way to go, but considering when I weighed in the same time last year at an eye-watering 29 stone 10 pounds (I was almost disappointed not to make the big 30!), I know I can do it hopefully this decade!

DATE WEIGHT stones - lbs CHANGE
llbs
17/9/08 ( proper way round USA) 26 - 7.5 lbs -----
24/9/08 26 - 1 -6.5
03/10/08 25 - 11.5 -3.5

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

well done on the weight loss. I've spent the last 12 months pretending to diet and losing nothing - then realised if I only lost a pound a week it adds up to nearly 4st in a year so that's my mission now.

chelc said...

Heyaa Jenny Congratulations On Your Weight Loss ... The Likul Kitten In Da Miggul Is Myn an If Its A Boy Its Gerrard and If Its A Girl Its jezebell
Lovee Chelsea x

Jenny Harvey said...

Thanks Jan. I too have spent a year deluding myself. Actually more like 35 years!
Hi Chelsea
If I had the faintest what you were on about I could reply. Is your language related to english at all!!
Its about time you picked up your kitten. Not sure about the names though.
Say hi to your mum.

alan said...

It looks like the swimming and the slimming clubs agree with you! Those are fantastic numbers!

Here "the whirl" of life has taken it's toll and I'm holding steady at 20...

Please never apologize for British cultural references! I'm more than a bit of an Anglophile, riding into it on a '58 Triumph many years ago and having fallen in love with more than one aspect of things there and from there. Though I hadn't heard of "the Good Life" I knew Richard Briers from "Monarch of the Glen" (and wouldn't have recognized him in the clips I found from "The Good Life" except for his eyes!). I watched "East Enders" 'til they pulled it over here, and Charlie Dimmock and Tommy Walsh are often thought of around here...along with "Captain Peacock"...Rowan Atkinson...so many others!

If you want to see a dreadful photo sometime, drop around and see my post from last week...I have yet to see any here!

alan

Anonymous said...

Good luck and well wishes on your weight loss. I have started my own program as well with a little bit of success...hopefully I can rid myself of this extra baggage so I feel better sitting and laying down.

I am still looking for your so-called "dreadful" photos...all I see are great ones.

Billy Whizz said...

Random tenous link of Jen to Charlie Dimmock and Tommy Walsh. After Alan left Ground Force Kirsty King née Taylor moved front of camera.

Well we used to play in the same hockey club and accidentally broke her jaw and cheek bone forcing her to attend a wedding as a bridesmaid with her jaw wired together. I felt terribly guilt and had to have a go at the kitchen staff as they provided her with mushroom soup for every course as she could only eat with a straw

To any fans of Ground Force, sorry it was an accident and I got concussed at the same time