Wednesday 1 October 2008

Of Cats And Men

Well another week over and another week less to live. I am normally a cup half full type person, but right now that cup is half full , but of sour milk!

The first souring agent is work. I've had one of those weeks. The other day I managed to lumber myself with representing members at 2 separate disciplinary hearings on the same day, separated by 1/2 hour and 12 miles, both with the possibility of dismissal. The final score was, Jenny 1-1 Management, which I guess was about right. Still, my head was spinning by the end. I am now sitting looking at the paperwork for another hearing I'm in the middle of which consists of 500 pages of documentation! Gord knows how I am going to get through it. I am notorious for being cack handed with paperwork and it's guaranteed that by the end of the hearing the hole of the lower East side of Stoke-on-Trent will be liberally papered with incomprehensible management casework.

The rest of the week was hardly much better as I went head to head (or Manno-a-Tranno) with my latest nemesis. He is an example of a new phenomenon of in the NHS, a "Turnaround" management consultant. He seems hell bent in making my working life less workable and wrecking all our hard work, forging good industrial relations. Well I held my own (well no one else was going to offer), and I left the battle of wits (witless in my case, more like), battered but not bowed.

The second souring factor is my almost totally futile assault on the dating world. The initial surge of email contacts (well about 20) has dries to a trickle but to be honest none of the offers and proposals were all that tempting. I am now composing my Posts on Windows Live Writer software, which means I can do crazy things like insert a table! So here goes with a statistical analysis of my dating prospects so far

INITIAL CONTACT or OFFER FREQUENCY CHANCES OF MY RESPONSE
"Do You Do Cyber ? "(apparently people do still use the word Cyber!) 10% 100/1
"I Like Your Profile / Smile / Cat" 22% 7/1 oooh close
"Can I be your slave" 4% 33/1 well might get some housework done
"My Wife Encourages Me To Meet T-Girls" 4%% 1000/1 Does she really?
My mobile is 077..... blah blah blah 9% 50/1
Do you have a cam ?(presumed to be web cam and not a cam belt) 7% 100/1 if its a web cam
10/1 for cam belt (I do like a petrol head)
Hi, I'm a bald, 50 y/o, bus driver. Can accommodate when mother is out 14% 33/1 well least he is mobile
unfunny_usename69 has sent you a quick flirt (followed by a clip art rose or some such) 30% 50/1 Put some effort in boys!
Hi, I'm Hugh Jackman / Laurie / Grant (delete as applicable) 0% Done it already!

As you can see a tempting array of offers. Anyway enough about the men

So What about the Cats.

Save The Mildred Five Campaign Update - Despite my pleas for clemency the 5 kittens are still due to be parted. To be fair to Vicky she does have a big enough menagerie and so far I have resisted her urges to take one as a pal for Gammo. This means there are still 3 up for grabs to a good home

Photo-0032

As you can see here, the 3 as yet homeless kitties hold the down the one who ruined their previous attempts at recreating Bohemian Rhapsody (see previous). Either that or the middle kitty is really long and twisty.

I think it will be easier to find homes if they had names rather than just "kitties", so any suggestions would be welcome.

3 comments:

Lucie G said...

Never good with paperwork, have had those weeks from time to time.

I'm thinking it depends on the route the bus driver takes (yes my standards are getting that low) :)

alan said...

It's nice to find you here again; I wish the week was being kinder to you!

I thanked you once before, as a now retired UAW worker, for doing a thankless job. My commiteepeople always said they spent 95% of their time representing 5% of their people, and that those 5% never thought they needed to say "Thanks"!

That kitten on the right looks like my great-grandmother's "Dusty" from when I was young; I have no idea why she called him that (or even for sure if it was a he). The first cat I was ever around...

Anonymous said...

I'd take one of the fur balls but my geriatric mog wouldn't cope. How about Dusty, Lulu and Sandy then? They all have a slightly 60's eye thing going on. Hope the week improves.