Wednesday 13 May 2009

Video Killed the Trade Union Spart

Thursday I took part in my first ever video conference.

The meeting was Unisons Trans Caucus, which in a nutshell is the core of Transgendered Unsion activists opportunity to tackle those equality matters, that matter the most to us.

I did my bit from the basement of Unison’s Birmingham offices. When I say Basement, it is a well appointed meeting room, but it still had that characteristic muffled ambience and lack of natural light.

The meeting was to discuss the upcoming Parliamentary Equality Bill  in relation to Transgendered discrimination. I was a bit early so I sat and placed with the video camera, to try and get my best look on screen. After a bit I decided I looked best if I just sat underneath the table, but I guess hiding from view somewhat negates the point of a video conference. I then decided I ought to familiarise myself with the matter at hand, as typically I had failed to read the Bill in depth. All too soon the screen flashed up an incoming call. Guess I would just have to wing it, for a change! It took a little time to get used to this method on holding a meeting. The inevitable short delays meant it was important to try not to talk over each other, else we all just ended up saying sorry and excuse me to each other repeatedly.

Being serious for a moment (at last !) The new Bill is an improvement but it typically does not go far enough.

There is not any improvement for the protection of children in schools from bullying and harassment related to gender identity, either their own or a relative.

There are also some worrying exceptions contained in the guidance around provision of services. Such as it may be reasonable to exclude a trans woman from a communal changing room in a shop if certain considerations are made by the proprietor. This is irrespective as to whether the woman has completed transition and has undergone GRS (Gender reassignment Surgery). Now there is nothing that would horrify me more than using a communal room to try clothes on, but as a woman I want that right. Any exceptions in legislation that set me apart from other women, lessen me by a degree each time, so unreasonable exceptions such of this are damaging. I see no need for this sort of exception and think it could be the slippery slope, thin end wedge type thing.

Anyway we had an excellent debate and found a sensible focus for our future campaigning.

100_1053

4 comments:

alan said...

I can still have day or nightmares about the bullying that went on from grade school up and by no means received the worst of it...I often wonder what became of those who did!

Thank you for making your voice heard!

alan

Lucie G said...

It's an imperfect bill winging its way through parliament, better but imperfect.
I imagine the time delay could get a little problematic but you can always flick the off switch if they get annoying:)

Calamity Jen said...

It may be a flawed bill (aren't they all?) but it's an important one.

You look quite good on-screen, don't you think?

Ian Manborde said...

Jen,

Good points about the flawed nature of the Bill. Any degree of discretion will, as you suggest, be used to further discriminate regardless of any rationale.

New Labour are great at half measures - except maybe when claiming something on expenses!

Cheers

Ian